In the early 1950's, Mrs John L Igleheart donated
to the city 52 acres that is now Igleheart Park.
Some of the land was cleared for baseball fields, tennis courts,
basketball courts, and Lloyd pool. The remaining 35 acres make up the
north woods forest and nature trail.
Prior to the donation, the land served as a reclusive site for the
Igleheart family's summer home. The rural retreat situated on a cool
hilltop setting, an important attribute in the days before air
conditioning and in the days when higher elevations were thought to
protect residents from Malaria.
First avenue was still a gravel road when the family spent summers in
the log house. It boasted a stone fireplace and was surrounded by
several out buildings, including a green house and live stock sheds.
The family kept cattle, sheep, and chickens; and a full time care taker
/ gardener lived on the property and maintained it in their absense.
Here the igleheart grandchildren played and learned a bit of country